Step 3: Pre-assembly
Mark all the panels and dry assemble the project with screwed joints. Position the panels and drill a pilot hole through both pieces. Countersink the hole for the screw head and drive the screw home with a cordless drill fitted with a friction clutch and phillips head screwdriver bit. Do some practice joints on scrap to trial the clutch settings on your cordless drill until the screw head is slightly countersunk. You may need another pair of hands to hold the panels in position as you work.
Order of assembly
- Fix the base floor to one wall, flush at the front.
- Fix the back to the inside of that wall, and fix to the floor.
- Add the opposite wall.
- Fix the bottom dividing wall.
- Cut two packers from scrap, the same height as your dividing wall, clamp them to the inside of each wall. Position the second floor on the packers and fix (Fig.4).
- Fix the top floor.
- Assemble roof and fix, ensuring that the ridge angle is 90 degrees.
When the basic house is together stand back, have a look, and now decide the best position for the windows and doors. Also decide on your room decor and make notes. Number the joints, dismantle the doll’ s house and cut the door and window openings with either a keyhole saw, or electric jigsaw. Smooth the inside edges of doors and windows with a wood rasp and sandpaper. Decorate the internal walls.